Zinia Thomas, M.D.
Dr. Thomas is board certified in both Adult Psychiatry and Child & Adolescent Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She completed her general psychiatry residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and served as the Administrative Chief Resident in her third year of residency. She continued her training by obtaining a fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Yale University Child Study Center. She trained under innovators in the field and has a special interest in ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders and Adolescent Substance Abuse. Dr. Thomas has experience in private practice, community child guidance clinics, long-term State residential facilities, hospital-affiliated Intensive Outpatient Programs/ Partial Hospitalization Programs and Tele-psychiatry. She believes in a developmental approach to childhood illnesses and will spend time gathering history and formulating an individualized treatment plan. She also believes that in addition to medications, the treatment of the child benefits from psychotherapy and would be able to incorporate brief psychotherapy into the treatment plan.
She specializes in the treatment of a wide spectrum of psychiatric illnesses including:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disoder (ADHD/ADD) and other disruptive behavior disorders, including Oppositional Defiant and Conduct Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorders, including High Functioning Autism, Asperger’s Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
- Adolescent drug abuse issues
- Anxiety disorders, including Generalized Anxiety, Panic, Social Anxiety, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Depressive Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder (manic-depression)
- Sleep Disorders
- Cognitive Limitations – from Learning Disorders to Mental Retardation
- Psychotic Disorders
- Eating Disorders